Onam is here. Celebrate the Onam Sadya 2016 in Bangalore!
Onam – a colourful Kerala festival is just round the corner. Onam is the biggest celebration in Kerala, it is celebrated nationwide, to welcome the mythical King Mahabali. Many cultural festivals are celebrated within the Onam’s 10 days. The festival ends with sumptuous Onam feast – called Onam Sadhya – consisting of 26-dishes served on plantain leaves.
If you don’t have any Kerala connect, or struck up in Bangalore due to work, then don’t get disappointed. You can still have Onam Sadya feast in some of the finest restaurants and hotels serving South Indian Food. We recommend a few below for you to pick up.
- Kumarakom, Opp. BDA complex, HSR: A typical Kerala theme atmosphere will rekindle memories of your home back in Kerala. The food just OK, but not very pricey compared to other featured here. Onam sadhya is still not confirmed by the restaurant staff.
- Ente Keralam, Ulsoor: Located at very approachable road of Ulsoor, Ente Keralam serve authentic Kerala cuisine. The food is delicious and tastes good. Especially the seafood is excellent. The ambience is just right with some soft Malayalam music. The staff are friendly and the customer service is good.
- Vembanad – the Paul, Domular: Simply called THE PAUL, is located opposite Embassy Golf Links, off Ring Road Domular. The ambience is excellent and the Kerala food is delicious. The décor has a festival look, with staff in tradition Kerala attire – lungi. Top notch service. The cost is on the higher side, but worth the experience. Perfect place for Kerala food.
- Currylicious, CMR Road, Kalyan Nagar: Their menu has South Indian coastal Food. Apart from Kerala they sever cuisine from Goa, Mangalore and Chettinad. Good ambience, Courteous staff, the right set of menus make me recommend this. They are offering a special menu for Onam Sadhya from 12th Sept to 16th Sept between 12 NOON & 3 PM.
- BonSouth, Koramangala 5th Block: Located in busy Koramangala, BonSouth serves south Indian food of Andhra, Chettinad and Kerala. They have a buffet and outdoor seating arrangement to dine. They have a good atmosphere to dine with, but the delivery of their food to table takes ages, often arrive cold. Staff are courteous. Their Onam Sadhya has already started, from 6th Sept to 15th Sept 2016. They have special Onam Buffet with 55 variety of dishes, including Onam signature dishes.
- Cheenavala, Varthur Main Road, Whitefield: As you enter Cheenavala, an aroma of curry leaves will overwhelm you. They reasonably priced buffet during lunch hour. Reasonably good taste and equally good hospitality. Murungakka Raw Mango Curry is their best dish in the menu. They have specially Onam take away menu from 3rd Sept to 18th Sept. There are 3 different set of menus.
- Fuso-The Fusion Restaurant, Hennur: For a casual dining in Hennur, straight hit to Fuso – the Fusion Resturant. They serve continental and Kerala food. They are located in Sri Rama Arcade, opposite to XLR8 Indoor Sports Arena in Hennur. Tastefully set ambience, good courteous staff – but the taste of the food is bit questionable and pricey. Not sure about their Onam Sadhya.
- Maria Taste Circle, Marathahalli: The restaurant is located at Sree Ramanjaneya Layout, Marathahalli has spread of cuisines from North Indian, South Indian, Kerala and Sea Food. Spacious good ambience and reasonably priced, you will very authentic Kerala food. A tea counter will you remind you of Kerala style road side tea shops.
- Salt Mango Tree, Whitefield: Salt Mango Tree is located in Prestige Ozone in Whitefield Main Road (off Varthur Main Road). Serve Kerala delicious with excellent décor. Limited Kerala Menu, but taste good supported by courteous staff. Onam Sadhya is between Tue, 6 Sep, 2016 to Thu, 15 Sep, 2016, book in advance just in case you miss out their Onam specialities.
- Crunkz, HSR Layout: Crunkz is located in busy HSR Layout near Parangipalaya Bus Stop at 24th Main, 22nd cross. Good place for some really good Kerala Cuisines. They also offer North Indian and other South Indian food. The portion sizing is good and rates relatively affordable. Their staffs are friendly, including female staff. But not many varieties to choose. Their Kerala menu is very limited. Their Onam special sadhya is not confirmed.
If you have mouth watering experience of feasting a Onam Sadya, please do drop in your views in the comments column below.